Friday, November 6, 2009

Halloween - Last Minute Change

The weekend before Halloween, Jody left to set up at the Red Steagall Cowboy Gathering at the Fort Worth Stockyards. The kids and I went over Friday night after I got off work. This is the 19th year for this gathering and Jody's second year to set up. There was music, chuck wagons, poetry readings, a ranch rodeo and many booths selling a variety of different western products. The weather was perfect and we had a great time. It was funny because both of my sisters were in the area doing different things so I got to see them. Todd and Penni won tickets to see Tanya Tucker at Billy Bob's and Pam took her kids to Boo at the Zoo in Ft. Worth. I met up with her and Savanna and Shane were able to go. They had a blast and came back with sacks full of candy.



Our friend modeled his chaps that matched our saddle.


Now on to Halloween. I was so proud of myself and bought the kids costumes early this year (so unlike me - Mrs. Procrastination). Shane wanted to be Spiderman and I got Savanna a Cleopatra costume. They wore or dressed up in them periodically during the weeks up until Halloween. I was glad that they were getting some wear and fun out of them and looking forward to trick or treating in them. On Friday before Halloween, Mt. Vernon was having trick or treating up on the square and the businesses there had their doors open to pass out candy. I rushed home to get the kiddos ready in their costumes when Shane suddenly announced that he wanted to be a cowboy for Halloween. I quickly tried to talk him into putting his Spidy outfit on but he was standing firm on being a cowboy. I relented and decided that the dressing up was for kids and I wanted him to have fun being what he wanted to be. I just wished he would have revealed this desire sooner because I then had to scramble looking for all things cowboy. We got er done and off we went. I couldn't find my camera and had to borrow the office camera from Jody so I don't have any pictures to show from Friday on the square.

After the square, we went to watch the Mt. Vernon Tigers play some football and I just about froze to death. I don't think it was really that cold but I'm just not used to colder weather yet.

Saturday was Halloween and we went rural trick or treating this night. Rural trick or treating is when you have to load up in the car and travel to each of your neighbors homes who have their porch light on - no walking from door to door is involved, ha. We stopped by Grandma's house first who told us about the Halloween carnival in Bogata (10 miles up the road). They were having trunk or treating, a bounce house, games, face painting, a haunted house, free hot dogs - and all you had to do was bring a canned food item to participate. We met up with Aunt D and the cousins (Rody and BreAnna) and headed on over to good ol Bogata. We had a great time and the bounce house was a hit with our kids.


I just love Grandma's screen door. I wish I had one on my door.


The little cowpoke.
Cleopatra - The Queen of the Nile.

Bre was the Little Mermaid and Rody was a Star Wars character. Aren't they all so cute!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Hey Amy~ thank you so much for your sweet comment and your prayers concerning my Grandpa. Our family really felt all the prayers and it meant so much to us.

Hope y'all had a great Christmas!