Monday, April 28, 2008

Remembering Alene Armstrong

On April 26,1998, my mom's mom, Alene Armstrong, left this world and went home to be with God. I can't believe it has been 10 years. I just wanted to remember with a post and write down some things I will always remember about her.

  • She made all my sunday dresses until I was in the 8th grade. I will never forget the first time I wore a store bought dress. I loved going next door to Grandmother and Pa Pa's and having her measure me and letting me pick out the pattern and fabric.
  • She was a hard worker. She worked as the janitor at our church right up until she got sick. She loved working in her yard and garden - mowing, weed eating, planting flowers, raking up pine needles, hoeing up weeds. She always got such a red face when she worked outside. Everything in her yard and garden was beautiful.
  • She loved the Lord more than ANYTHING and we had many discussions about Him and His Word. She was a great teacher. I have her little Bible with the blue flower cover and I love seeing the things she wrote out in the margin for certain verses.
  • She had a wonderful smile and laugh and a sweet spirit about her.
  • I loved watching Wheel of Fortune and Gunsmoke with her and Pa Pa, but she usually made him turn off the TV so we could talk.
  • She made the best dressing for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
  • She loved eating cornbread and sweet milk.
  • She was not only my Grandmother, but my friend and I miss her.

3 comments:

AMY said...

Oh, what great memories of your grandmother. You were truly blessed to have such a great Godly woman in your life. I have something in common with your grandmother...I love cornbread and milk too! I have not had that in years and I don't know why. Reading your post reminded me of that great treat.

I am sorry I missed you on Sunday. I had my head down coming in so late :-(. We will catch up next week. I was thinking of posting something about our service on Sunday. I LOVE TO HEAR PEPPER PREACH! What a great preacher we have.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading about your Grandmother. What a wonderful lady she must have been.

Home-made dresses. You rarely see them these days. Too bad things aren't like they use to be. If they were, I'm sure we would see manners and morals back in society. Thank goodness that there are some of us that were taught about the Lord while growing up. Thank goodness that there are some of us that had grandparents to teach us how to live.

Hot Rod said...

I have memeories of your grandmother. She was such a sweet woman. I am glad you put down those thoughts.